Friday, August 9, 2013

Wait, did that just happen?

**Warning: This post is a rant**

Have you ever had one of those moments where you're like, seriously, is this happening right now?
I totally just had one of those moments.



I'll start with the back story:
I've been eating dairy free for almost five years now. I've never been to a doctor about it, but through the process of elimination I figured out that the pain in my tummy was caused by things made of dairy.
This was a long process. One I didn't want to believe and I retried dairy several times, in several different ways, "just to make sure". I discovered that as long as I don't eat things made with milk, life is good.
It's my choice, I don't make a big deal about it, I just don't eat it.

Now for the real story:
This afternoon the kiddo asked if we could grab some food on the way home.
She decided on Panera Bread.
When we ordered she saw a picture on the menu, showing that they offered smoothies.
*I forgot to mention, The kiddo is also dairy free.
I asked the lady behind the register if their smoothies were made of milk.
She said yes. Then this other lady (and by lady, I mean 18 year old girl), in a manager shirt, pipes up and says "no. our smoothies are made with yogurt, not milk".
Um, ok...
I then said, "that's actually what I meant, dairy in general", and turned back to the lady at the register.
Than, 18 year old manager lady says, "Oh, are you intolerant of dairy?'
Me: "Yes".
Her: "You can have yogurt".
Me: "No, I can't".
Her: "Yes, as long as it has a good number of live cultures you can eat yogurt".
Me: "No, I can't. I've tried many times. I have been this way for five years".
Her: "Well, I've been this way for 18 years!"
Me: *BITING MY TONGUE AS HARD AS I CAN*
Her: "You should really get some yogurt, and read the lables and see if it has live cultures. Then you can totally eat it".
Me: Turning back to the lady at the register "We'll have the turkey sandwich and a cookie, thanks".

Somehow I missed the memo that getting to wear a manager shirt at Panera Bread makes their employees an expert on my body. I mean, I wish I had known earlier!! I have SO many questions she could have answered!
She was so in my face about it, I swear I wanted to punch her so hard!
And scream, I wanted to scream! I mean, seriously!??!



Rant over.





No comments: